Looking forward to helping bring Crayon where it wants to go.
When I joined the team as tech lead, there were four engineers doing automated analysis and lab management. I led them to stabilize the operation and grew the team to fifteen engineers who horizontally support full business life cycle. Also installed sustainable processes: source control, code review, testing, release management. This is a 24/7 system that processed nearly 100k human genomes totalling 100PB of data. Highlights include:
- 15 engineers working across five concurrent projects, from solo efforts to small team (6)
- requirement gathering, stakeholder meetings, architecture, coding, maintenance
- a live support system handling 100 tickets/week from nontechnical internal users
- managing digital assets and access controls for customer data deliverables (10+TB/M)
- live service management, including releases, SLAs, SOPs, and incidents
Over the last three years, I've focused more on management, including:
- roadmaps for applications and engineers working on them
- screening and hiring for all levels of engineering
- vendor management for hosted third-party services
- contractor management for fixed-time roles (including overseas contractors)
Led development of Olive, a high-volume web publishing platform for microbial genomes and viruses. Published thousands of genomes in hundreds of projects, versioned correctly and packaged for general use. Also worked many years with scientists on a microbial/viral genome pipeline platform; the volume of data grew 10000x over my time there.